Silent Movie Suite (Complete) – Martin Ellerby – Eynsford Concert Band
Live performance by the Eynsford Concert Band at the European Championship for Wind Orchestras in Utrecht 2016
To quote the programme notes: “The work is a light-hearted, fun piece in parody style evoking the lost era of black and white films shown without dialogue and clothed with just a musical accompaniment. Listeners are encouraged to use their imagination during the six individual movements all of which have an appropriate subtitle to assist”
- Hollywood Fanfare A brief flourish sets the mood and period in the style of a Golden Age film studio ident. This leads immediately into the next movement proper.
- Follow that Cab! A racy ‘swing’ idiom evokes a pursuit scene through the streets of ‘Tinsel Town’ with the police showing great interest and ringing their bells from time to time as the scenario builds to its inevitable conclusion – the case is solved!
- Gangster’s Moll A soliloquy for the lonely girlfriend waiting for her gangster boyfriend to return home after a hard day’s work at the ‘office’ pushing illicit liquor and busting a few heads! She knows nothing of this, of course, as ‘Scarface’ is an angel in her eyes…
- Bungling Burglars Time for a night time raid on the local bank. The robbers break in, fumble around and get more and more animated as their search for the safe leads them nowhere but into each other!
- Matinée Idol ‘Valentino’, the darling of them all, reflects on his rise to fame, his multiple Oscars, his magical allure with the ladies and his sure-fire place in the history books – the art of delusion!
- Slapstick! All aboard for the grand finale: Chaplin, Keaton, you name ’em, they’re there! Someone’s always chasing someone but no-one knows who or why. The police turn up, the fire brigade turn up, even the army turn up! After a suitable smattering of pies in the face, obligatory rumbles and tumbles the movement concludes with the whole ensemble vanishing into the end credits…